Saturday, October 17, 2009

Welcome Jackson Christopher Harris!! (This may have TMI for some of you!)

Jackson was born on October 17, 2009 weighing in at 6 lbs 12 oz and 19.5 inches long. He is so adorable, incredible, and I cannot believe that he is ALL mine! What an incredible feeling it is to go into the NICU and see him and know that you made him for 9 and a half months in your belly...WOW, there are no words to describe it...just like there are NO words to describe what labor/c-section/spinal block feel like too.

At approximately 3:33 a.m. I awoke gas pains (or so I thought) and went to the bathroom to try and relieve myself of the dull pain. After going to the bathroom (YES, I mean having a BM) I went back to bed and tried to sleep some more, then to the bathroom again in hopes to feel better, then back to bed where I finally turned on the TV in hopes that I would fall asleep and wake up feeling better. That did not occur. At 5:50 a.m. I went upstairs to my husband (as many of you know I sleep on the couch now for comfort) and told him that we needed to call the doctor. I said, "Honey, I have been having these really uncomfortable gas pains for a little over two hours and nothing is working to get rid of them, can you call my doctor?" Then off I was to the bathroom to try and relieve my self again, NO HELP!!

We talked to the doctor, my husband told her I was just having a dull pain that didn't subside and that I thought it was didn't get worse, it didn't fluctuate, and my stomach wasn't tightening. Cris (mid wife) told me to take some mylanta or mylacon and go into the office at 9:00 a.m. and get put on the fetal heart monitor and contraction monitor just to look at what may be going on. No problem I thought...but I was also thinking, "How are they going to get rid of this gas for me? Are they going to have to pull out a lodged Lincoln log from my pooper and this gas pain will go away?" Needless to say the urge to have to poop really bad was still there so I went to the bathroom and actually did that AGAIN. From that point on, the pain began to intensify and I was having dull gas pains, then full on sharp pains. I looked at my husband and forcfully said, "I cannot wait two more hours to go to a doctor, can you call her back and tell her that the pains are starting off dull and then get strong and go back to dull?" With that phone call I was told to come into the hospital...and at that point the sharp pains began to be so intense that I was moaning through them, breathing heavy and shallowy and I was losing the ability to think straight. Chris was about to start brushing his teeth when I screamed, "WE do not have time for you to do that...we need to leave NOW!" Mind you I still thought I was having some sort of gas issue where a tube up my pooper at the hospital was going to fix this issue and off I would go.

We fired the GPS because yes folks, this weekend we were going to map out our route to the hospital and we were OFF. Chris was driving a little faster than normal he called my mom just to let her know what was going on and then we were on our way. I was breathing deep and hard and I began timing on my iPod the length of these "gas pains" just in case they really weren't that...because haven't you ever been moaning and screaming when you were constipated? : )

When we arrived at the hospital I was dropped off at the emergency room, Chris parked and we were up to labor and delivery, me in a wheelchair...YES folks I was still in denial.

Upon arriving they put me in the bathroom asked for a sample and gave me a gown. I had to moan through another gas pain to get it and then I saw blood in the urine. THAT is when it hit me, I looked at Chris and I said, you only have blood in your urine when you are going to have a baby.

The 5-8 incredible people nurses, anesthesiologist, doctors, mid wife, intake people began firing questions to both Chris and I. As this was going on they shaved me ( I did have an appointment that day to get my bikini line waxed) and checked my cervix. The nurse exclaimed, "She is 10 centimeters dilated and fully effaced!"
The anesthesiologist said, "I do not know if we are going to have time to give her a spinal, she may just need to be put under general."
Chris and I looked at each other and mouth "OMG!!" As more questions were fired and answered, the mid wife came in and checked my cervix, she said, "Ok we have a little time, she is 6 cm dilated and fully efaced, we need to work quickly."

We arrived at the hospital at around 7:34 a.m. and Jackson arrived at 8:46 a.m. The people nurses, Cris (my midwife) and Chris (my husband) were incredible, they helped me moan and breath through my contractions, tried to keep me calm, and kept me aware of everything was happening to me. I was able to have a spinal (THANK YOU anesthesiologist I wish I could remember your name) it didn't hurt...and we had our incredibly beautiful baby boy.


  1. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the name, love you guys!!!!!! Congratulations to your beautiful family. I am so glad that everything went well and that everyone is doing well!! Can't wait to see pictures and (better yet) can't wait to meet him!!!!!! xoxoxoxo